Here are a few pictures of the Little Jacks that Ryne goes to. The grad students come out to the lobby of the building and get the children and then take them all back at once. This is to avoid disruption once it starts. Ryne cried pretty hard the first few weeks he went (he only goes Tues/Thurs). He would see his little friends and start crying because he knew he had to leave his mama. On Thursday he just made a face, but didn't cry. I'm so proud of him. He does really well in the class and enjoys it. He basically gets one-on-one attention, so I know this helps. I had to take pictures through the 2-way mirrors that they have for us to view what is going on. They also have headphones so we can listen in if we want to. Picture #2 - they start out reading a story and singing a welcome song where they each get welcomed and put their picture in a special slot. Then they go outside and then come in and do an activity (picture #4). This activity usually involves something somewhat messy and fun. The blue-green ball that Ryne is holding is a ball that would make him melt and relax in his speech therapy sesssions in the summer. They would use it more in the beginning of the first classes to calm him down. I don't think they have to use it now. This class is for 90 minutes, and then he goes to 1-on-1 therapy upstairs for 30 minutes. He is very excited (so I'm told) to see his 1-on-1 clinician. She said he said "dig" on Thursday (and he was doing a digging action. Of course he only said it once and wouldn't say it again...and hasn't said it since...but he is making progress. Whether speech therapy actually helps or it's natural progression, I don't know, but this is an awesome program for him. ;-)


No comments:
Post a Comment